Tuesday, August 4, 2009

TIme are a-changing...

Timing is everything...
I have taken a leave this year to work on my writing, to try and focus on maybe earning some money through this hobby of mine. Spent a week of my summer at the Fernie Writers' Conference, working on manuscripts and learning all I could.
On the 4th day, my husband gets an email that the powers that be are selling off his department at the Big Oil Company where he works. Now we are in wait and see mode-will he lose his job? Will it be now or later?
Things are starting to move a bit on the writing front. (I have my first paid book review job and my manuscript went over pretty well at the conference. I am heading up this week to do research on my book.) Lots of forward momentum, so of course, something has to block that.

The word "opportunity" is a bit of a joke (no, it really is a joke) in our house...kind of the way a 6 year old talking about "appropriate behaviour" is a joke) It's a catchphrase, a cliche. But I guess we do have the opportunity to make some changes now. The big thing for me is uprooting my kids. Of course we can sell our house and take the money we made in the ultimate land of golden opportunity, Alberta, and head back home where we could live a pretty nice life...lots of money, lots of writing time, family...

But we kinda like it here.

So who knows what is going to happen. Even if he does get laid off, we will have time to decide. I moved a lot as a kid, so I know my kids will probably be fine (my writing instructor, Peter, would call me on that probably-first because it is a dreaded adverb-weak writing! Second, because of what it implies-that they probably WON'T be fine) but still, lots on my mind.

To be perfectly honest, not having to depend on a land-raping corporation for my livelihood might be just the thing.

As my mom always told me, be careful what you wish for.

Book of the Week: Open Arms by Marina Endicott
Song of the Week: Eat It by Weird Al Yankovic (as discovered by my kids-oh the joys of YouTube)



No comments:

Post a Comment